Kathleen Regentin who is Associate Director of Career Development and Special Assistant for Technology for College Life at Gettysburg College was kind enough to do a guest blog post on a session she attended yesterday from Deb Feldman & Sara Rodgers, Lehigh University.
· Created tabs for specific audiences; admitted students, fy students, grad students (bus & econ only), etc.
· All campus users have a portal account. Basic tabs are myLehigh, Campus Life, Help. Additional tabs are presented based on the users role. Multiple roles are allowed (staff and student). Admin has set a priority for multiple users (as a default), but users can control what tabs they see, based on their roles.
New Student Tabs
· Once deposit is paid, an admitted student changes role to New Student. Related tabs appear; Admitted @ Lehigh, FYS, evoLUtion 1, evoLUtion 2 (orientation related).
Admitted Student Tabs
· The president requested the creation of this tab. CRM is used to present user specific information on events, financial aid, interests, etc.
· The Luminus portal has a groups feature which enables group members to interact with each other. This feature has not been used as much b/c users frequent Facebook more often.
· Deposits can be paid online. Current students are not able to pay tuition online at this time.
· Students are asked to name the other schools they have applied to.
· More of a ‘place holder’ tab until the actual FYS tab is ready (later in the year). This tab does provide information, but not interactive.
· Available mid-May. Offers an online orientation in an effort to reduce the summer melt.
· Provides a summer check list of what the student needs to do before the start of the fall semester. List is organized by month.
· Surveys are completed through Banner. Not a sophisticated tool, but reduces the need for bio/demo info, etc.
· Vehicle to communicate with fys.
· Prepares students for move-in day.
· Communicates on topics related to college (alcohol, grades, roommates, etc.)
CBE Grad Student Tabs
· Moved from paper mailing packets to the online tab.
· Created channels/portlets related to the CBE grad students.
· The CBE manages the content within the channels.
· Offers Banner survey to register for CBE online orientation (a requirement).
· This group came to LTS to develop a portal for their students.
· One goal was to help the student athletes succeed. Channel topics include academic support, leadership & service, and scholarship.
· Information on the student athlete handbook, department info, athletic equipment, NCAA Compliance, etc.
· Works with inline frames as a work around.
· Provides participation requirements.
· Will change the sports medicine scheduling and move it into R25. Students will use it to schedule their sports medicine appointments.
· Used CAS to handle authentication between portal and other surveys.
· Podcasts are in a channel. Podcasts are not currently presented using roles – all athletes will see the same podcasts.
· iTunes is controlled through the users role in Blackboard.
Athletic Coaches and Staff
· Simple page with tons of links on it. Nothing fancy, just lots of information.
· Contracted with ProQuest to provide library resources to alumni.
· Currently developing the online community for alumni.
· Points to club events and activities.
· Needed a secure repository for documents.
· Trustees were not ‘asking’ for the tab, so the task was challenging.
· Channels included: membership information, meeting materials, leadership updates, campaign updates, etc.
· Provides access to grades, bills, and other info in Banner IF their student grants permission.
· Informs parents of relevant news and information (not new content, but points to content in other areas)
· Parents have login access to the portal, but not email.